The Morgan House was a private residence for esquire William Porter and his
family. Edwin Morgan, the first settler of the city of Springfield, purchased and
enlarged this home in 1853 and opened its doors to visitors arriving on incoming
stagecoaches. Thus, began the long and illustrious history of The Morgan House
Inn. Mary Morgan Jones and Charles Morgan, Edwin’s daughter and youngest son,
carried on the family tradition, providing a comfortable rest stop for weary travelers
and their horses.
The hospitality and comfort of The Morgan House has been enjoyed by many
guests, including the likes of Ulysses S. Grant and George Bernard Shaw.
President Cleveland became so fond of Lee and The Morgan House, that during
his last year in office he hosted the 1895 summer army games in the nearby village
of Tyringham. Famous archeologist, Rob Titus, held his annual Raccoon Hunting
Banquets at The Morgan House.
The lore of The Morgan House deepened not only as a result of events in time such
as prohibition, but also with each respective change in ownership. From 1913 to
1970 The Morgan House was owned by members of the Shields family. James
Shields was succeeded by his daughter, Maria Shields, and her husband Earl Perot.
From 1970 to the present, owners such as Allan Werring, Maria Cole (wife of Nat
King Cole), Beth and Bill Orford, Kim and Wes Bookstaver, Michael and Connie
Diggins, Jim and Pam Loring, have created a piece of history here at the inn.
The present owner, Vern Kennedy, and his staff, extend you a warm welcome. Our goal is to continue the long tradition of excellence in hospitality and dining. Enjoy!